HOMELESS ADVOCACY WORKING GROUP
SUMMARY OF DECISIONS MADE AT 12 March 2018 HAWG MEETING
MISSION STATEMENT It is the mission of the Homeless Advocacy Working Group to assist in improving the conditions of human beings sleeping in the street, in vehicles, in the open, and in unsafe shelters. HAWG insists, unconditionally, that "Housing is a Human Right" and demands that all persons have a right to exist and to be housed, irrespective of shelter situation, economic ability, race, age, gender, or other marginalized status, and must be treated always with courtesy, dignity, and respect.
"SPEAKING GUIDELINES" FOR HAWG GENERAL MEETINGS
- The “speaking stacker” will recognize up to 5 speakers-commenters-questioners on a single agenda topic.
- Upon recognition by the “stacker,” each speaker in turn is allotted 2 minutes to speak on the item.
- A motion of "personal privilege,” which must be seconded, and approved by a majority of those present is necessary to exceed the first 5-speaker limit on an agenda topic. Approval allows recognition by the “stacker” of up to an additional 5 speakers for purposes of continuing the discussion or to permit repeat recognition to person(s) who already spoke.
- The 5-speaker limit does not apply to "brainstorming sessions" which, by definition, are encouraged to be "fully open discussions" by ALL present at the meeting.
“INTERIM” STEERING COMMITTEE It was decided that an “interim steering committee” be created and be charged with developing and presenting a proposal for organization of the Homeless Advocacy Working Group. The “interim steering committee” is to present a report to HAWG within 30 days (more specifically at the April 9 HAWG meeting).
The “interim steering committee” is composed of seven (7) persons who volunteered and were approved by the assembly; constituted of:  Talya email@example.com;  Preston firstname.lastname@example.org;  Nancy email@example.com;  Anita firstname.lastname@example.org;  Genevieve email@example.com;  Mavin firstname.lastname@example.org;  Stephen email@example.com.
[In addition, Lou < firstname.lastname@example.org > volunteered – without objection - - to act as a “non-voting” facilitator of the “interim steering committee.”]
Accordingly, it is recommended that Lou should “call” and make arrangements for the “initial convening” of the ‘interim steering committee,” however, at the initial meeting, as the first order of business, the committee should democratically determine its “facilitator,” or may decide to have Lou continue as the committee’s “non-voting” facilitator. (Due to the committee’s limited duration, “rotation” of facilitators is not recommended.)
The committee’s task -- as listed in the meeting agenda and as discussed at the HAWG meeting – shall include at minimum:
- Type of organization – ‘open’ (as now) or ‘membership’ (membership requirement(?))
- Steering Committee – number-how constituted-duties-authority • Committees (if any); including which & whether ‘standing’ or ‘ad hoc;’ how will meet?
- Between HAWG Meetings – HAWG spokesperson(s)(?); Media contact; How of “urgent” decisions(?) • ‘Pros & Cons’ / Benefits & Drawbacks’ of being “unaffiliated community-based group” or 501(c)(3) /
- “Informal Governance” or “Adopted Bylaws” (cursory discussion (not formal document))
HAWG “GOOGLEGROUP” & “LISTSERV” HAWG’s Googlegroup and listserv have grown to such magnitude that its use must consider possible inconvenience to the many others also on the listserv. Accordingly, the decisions below have been made.
- The HAWG “googlegroup” will remain “open” to all who share the mission of the Homeless Advocacy Working Group and who choose to enter their email address on the listserv.
- HAWG presumes that those who voluntarily list their e-address with the Googlegroup desire to stay informed of HAWG actions and proceedings by way of email communications via the HAWG listserv. Persons who choose to leave the Googlegroup must notify a group manager at and their eaddress will be removed.
- It is the intent of HAWG that the Googlegroup and listserv be used only for sharing of information that is of direct interest to the entire Googlegroup.
- Members of the Googlegroup are strongly requested to be considerate of the many others when posting to the listserv. Topics that are of direct interest, communication, or interaction with and to specific members should be specifically addressed to those individuals rather than to the entire Googlegroup. It is the desire of HAWG that adherence to this request will be self-regulating.
“SCHEDULED MEETING #3 – HAWG with MAYOR SCHAAF – WED, MARCH 21”
A third meeting is scheduled for HAWG representatives to meet with Mayor Schaaf to discuss issues and needs of the unsheltered homeless population and to solicit City support and assistance.
As requested by the mayor, HAWG is to limit the number of attendees to eight (8) persons. By HAWG decision, the 8 persons selected are: –  Talya  Anita  Nancy  Jonah  Genevieve  Mavin  Preston  James.
All selectees are urged to respect the mayor’s request and to keep the delegation at a maximum of 8 representatives.
HAWG’s focus at this meeting is to complete discussion of the Agenda Document of Feb 20, and to seek commitments on the topics that were begun at the second joint meeting held Feb 20, in addition to other suggestions from HAWG meeting attendees.